One of the popular features of the AirPods is the ability to enable noise cancellation and isolation for its users. Active noise cancellation is a very advanced technology to counter noise from outside deliberately and actively.
The way it works is it detects and examines the sound of the incoming noise and then produces a mirror noise termed “anti-noise.” This anti-noise is then played back to the incoming noise to cancel each other out, leaving the user with complete noise isolation.
Airpods use this feature in both its earpods and microphones to make your audio experience better than ever.
Noise Canceling feature in Airpods
Airpods have 4 different models, including the over-ear Airpods Max. However, Apple AirPods 2nd gen and Apple AirPods 3rd gen do not have a noise cancellation feature in this. So all a user can rely on is the physical noise obstruction provided by the earbuds for noise isolation and reduction.
But this differs for Apple Airpods Pro 2nd gen and Apple Airpods Max. Instead, these two models give us an exclusive 3 modes for noise control – Active Noise Cancellation, Transparency mode, and Off. In addition, you can select the level of noise cancellation you want.
Active Noise Cancellation
Apple uses custom noise-cancellation technology for its AirPods. The AirPods have two microphones on each pod.
One mic faces inward and the other outwards. The inward microphone picks up your voice and works with it, while the outer microphone cancels the noise.
The outer mic detects and examines the noise from the outside and then uses the data to generate an “anti-noise” to work against the noise and cancel it out. This whole technology works on the latest H1 chip.
This feature gives you a balance between what you listen to in your ear and your surrounding noise. Complete noise cancellation can do more harm than good, especially if you wear your AirPods on the road or in public.
Transparency mode brings you the best of both worlds. It lets you hear immediate noises in your surroundings without them being too overpowering that you cannot listen to the audio through the AirPods.
It switches off the active noise cancellation or transparency mode from your AirPods. You may need to do this to save up your AirPods charge.
How to turn on the active noise cancellation on your AirPods?
- You need to say, “Hey Siri, turn on active noise cancellation” to switch noise cancellation on. You can do the same to switch it off as well.
- As for transparency mode, you can say, “Hey, Siri, turn on transparency.”
Using iOS device
- Connect your AirPods with your iOS device as usual.
- Then go to Settings > Accessibility > Airpods >My devices > “your Airpods” on your iOS device.
- Tap on the “i” button (information button) on the right of your connected airport device.
- You will see the toggle option under “Noise Control” to change modes from Noise cancellation, Transparency or off. Choose the one you want.
- Connect your AirPods with your iOS device as usual.
- Now open the “Control Center” on your iPhone or iPad.
- Next, press and hold the volume slider on your Airpods till your iOS device shows “Additional controls.”
- Tap on the bottom left icon. It is the Noise control icon.
- You can choose which mode you want – noise cancellation, Transparency or off. Select one, and you are good to go.
Still, hearing outside noise even though you have enabled Active Noise Cancellation?
Is it so that your Active Noise Cancellation (ANC) is not working? Are you still experiencing issues with your AirPods? Outside noise is overpowering, and you cannot hear the audio of your AirPods? Well, there can be a few reasons why this is happening. Let us look into each reason and help you solve them.
Update your iOS device
Sometimes a few extra functionalities of your AirPods may only work if your software is up to date, and thus your AirPods become incompatible with your device.
Go to Settings > General > Software Update > Download and Install to correct this.
To reset your iOS device, follow the steps below:
- Put your AirPods in their case and close the lid. Keep it like this for 30-40 seconds, then open it.
- Then go to Settings > Bluetooth.
- Next, select your AirPods from under “My devices” and tap the “i” information icon on the right-hand side.
- Click “Forget this device.”
- Next, press the start button on your Airpod case till it shows yellow light and keep it beside your device.
- A pop-up will appear on the screen, asking you to “Connect” with the AirPods. Press the “Connect” button.
- Now your iOS device is reset with your AirPods.
Clean Airpods and charging case
An unclean Airpod will lead to a bad quality sound as the lint and dirt in the earbuds will deliver poor quality sound. You may wonder if the sound quality could be better as ANC is not working properly, but it is not so.
Check if the attached earbud on your Airpods fits or not
AirPods come with 3 sixes of earbuds to attach to your device depending on which fits your ear. First, check whether the one you are using needs to be bigger. If it is smaller than the size you need, it will lead to more noise while using your AirPods.
So, ensure you will clean your AirPods at least once a week. It will not only give you good.
People make this basic mistake when they think that their Active Noise Cancellation is on, but it is otherwise in transparency mode or is switched off.
So, go to your device settings and crosscheck whether it is switched on.
- 5 Ways to Fix It When AirPods Won’t Connect
- How to find lost AirPods or Lost Airpods Case
- AirPods Microphone Sound Muffled? How to Fix! [SOLVED]
Noise Cancellation is an excellent feature if you constantly get distracted by surrounding sounds while using Airpods.
This not only improves sound quality but also allows you a clearer quality. It is the upgradation of noise isolation offered in Airpods 2nd gen and AirPods 3rd gen.
However, keeping ANC active for a long time does drain the battery faster. Therefore, we suggest you use it only when necessary. I hope this guide will help you to turn on Noise cancellation on your AirPods.